Top Quality Schools
Hanover County Public Schools
Hanover County Public Schools (HCPS) is a growing, nationally recognized suburban school district located in the Richmond region. HCPS is one of the largest school districts in Virginia and is among the 300 largest of 15,500 school districts in the United States. The HCPS Transportation Department is the 92nd largest in the nation.
In 2011-2012, more than 19,110 students were served in four high schools, four middle schools, 15 elementary schools, The Georgetown School (the alternative education center) and The Hanover Center for Trades and Technology.
Hanover schools are accredited by the Virginia Department of Education and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and they are recognized internationally by the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation.
Hanover County’s low student drop-out rate and outstanding student performance are indicative of the value the community and the school district place on student achievement.
Of Virginia school divisions, Hanover County Public Schools ranks:
|4-Year Cohort Dropout Rate (2010-11)||4-Year Cohort Graduation Rate (2010-11)||Percentage of Schools Having Obtained AYP for 2011-12 (of Divisions with enrollment > 15,000)||Percentage of Fully Accredited Schools|
|Lowest (2.3%)||2nd Highest (94.3%)||Highest for 4 consecutive years (65%)||100% for 10 consecutive years|
- 100% of Hanover’s schools have achieved full accreditation according to Virginia’s Standards of Learning assessments.
- 99.7% of Hanover teachers are "highly qualified" as defined by the federal No Child Left Behind Act.
- Hanover leads the metro Richmond area in the following assessments by the Virginia Department of Education: Advanced Diplomas, Graduation Rate, Third Grade English, Third Grade History, Third Grade Math, Eighth Grade Writing, Algebra, World History and Biology.
- Hanover students' average Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores lead the metro Richmond area.
- Hanover high schools are among only two percent of American high schools that offer Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate Programme (IB) and dual enrollment options to their students.
- The rigorous IB program is in place at all four high schools in Hanover.
- Hanover leads the metro Richmond area in the number of students participating in IB classes.
- Hanover students' IB scores exceed the international average.
- A total of 90 Hanover teachers have earned National Board Certification since the inception of the program.
- A graduate warranty program assures that students are prepared for post-secondary education or entry-level employment.
- The average elementary student-to-classroom teacher ratio is 21.5:1.
Awards & Accomplishments
- Ten Hanover County Schools have been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as National Blue Ribbon Schools.
- Hanover has received the SchoolMatch "What Parents Want" designation for six consecutive years. This award is reserved for those school districts in the Nation that demonstrate high levels of student achievement and maintain emphasis on small class size.
- Hanover was the first Virginia school district to receive the U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Award for Continuing Excellence.
- HCPS was the first school district in the nation to receive district accreditation by a SACS/CASI international quality assurance team.
- Two Virginia Distinguished Title I Schools are located in Hanover County: Elmont Elementary (2005 and 2009) and Beaverdam Elementary (2005, 2006 & 2007).
- Two Hanover schools (Liberty Middle and Patrick Henry High) were identified as demonstration sites for statewide Content Literacy Continuum-Strategic Instruction Model grants.
- Forbes ranked HCPS among the top 50 school districts in the nation comparing student achievement vs. cost per pupil.
- Hanover ranks first among Virginia’s 132 school divisions for the percentage of its budget invested toward classroom instruction.
- Hanover has produced two World Champion Odyssey of the Mind teams.
Hanover County Private Schools
Hanover County is served by two private schools:
- Liberty Christian: Pre-kindergarten to 5th grade
- Hanover Academy: Pre-school to 7th grade