There's plenty to do to keep active, stay fit and enjoy the great outdoors in Hanover County, Virginia.
Soak up beautiful landscapes and stunning views while hitting the links in Hanover County. Local golf courses include:
- Hanover Country Club (18 holes; par 71): Located 5 miles northwest of the Town of Ashland, nestled in the foothills alongside the South Anna River and Stagg Creek, Hanover Country Club treats golfers to challenging play and scenic landscapes.
- The Hollows Golf Club (27 holes; par 70): Located in Historic Hanover County, The Hollows offers something for golfers of all skill levels with three unique nines to choose from.
- Hunting Hawk Golf Club (18 holes; par 72): Located in Hanover County, beside the Chickahominy River, Hunting Hawk boasts a layout that complements the surrounding scenery and incorporates the gently rolling terrain, plentiful trees and wetland areas as features of the course.
- The Federal Club (18 holes; par 72): The Federal Club is located in southwest Hanover County, near the South Anna River. The course was designed by Arnold Palmer. Players will appreciate the technical difficulty of the course as well as the stunning views.
Virginia, with its natural beauty, national landmarks and terrain ranging from rural roads to family-friendly trails to tracks through woods and up mountains, is a favorite among bicyclists, and Hanover County is no exception. Riders can enjoy scenes dotted with historic homes and rolling countryside, and routes ranges from 10 miles to 100 miles.
Hanover is home to a strong, active cycling community. Richmond Area Bicycling Association (RABA) organizes rides through Historic Hanover, the Town of Ashland and other areas on a weekly basis as well as a monthly basis. RABA also puts together the Heart of Virginia Bike Festival, which Hanover County has proudly hosted in the past and will be hosting again in 2012.
The following resources offer additional information about bicycling in Hanover County and Virginia:
- Trails.com: Hanover Trails & Parks
- Virginia Bicycling Federation
- Virginia Department of Transportation: Bicycling and Walking in Virginia
Hanover offers runners, joggers, speed-walkers and everyone in between a variety of events to choose from. Local races and events are:
- Patrick Henry Half Marathon
- Ashland Railroad Run
- Ashland Harvest 10K
- Mechanicsville Miler
- Reese Strong 5K
- Ashland Pumpkin Run
- Raiders Run 5K
- MCEF Run to Serve 5K
- Memorial Regional 5K Nurse Challenge
- Ash Creek 5K
Check out Sports Backers and Richmond Road Runners to learn more about these and other events for running enthusiasts.
You don't have to take in Hanover County just from land. Climb on board your boat or a friend's, and experience Hanover from the water. Four rivers are located in Hanover County, which makes for a variety of different boating and fishing experiences from white water rafting to tidal fishing. The four rivers are Chickahominy River, North Anna River, Pamunkey River and the South Anna River. Small boat/canoe launch sites include:
- Route 1/North Anna Ramp: Located at the Hanover County/Caroline County line on Route 1
- Route 54/South Anna Ramp: Located off of West Patrick Henry Rd. (Rt. 54) on the South Anna River, approximately 1 mile west of Patrick Henry High School
- Route 33/South Anna Ramp (Ground Squirrel Ramp): Located at the intersection of the South Anna River and Mountain Road (Route 33)
- Route 301/Pamunkey Ramp (Littlepage Ramp): Located approximately 2 miles north of Hanover Courthouse on Route 301
Bass Pro Shops
Hanover County is also home to popular outdoor retailer Bass Pro Shops. Outdoor enthusiasts will love this 150,000-square-foot tribute to Virginia's unique terrain and culture. The store houses over 3,500 artifacts, antiques, pictures, mounts and memorabilia, which are all native to the state.
Bass Pro Shops has something for everyone. Besides an extensive collection of hunting, fishing camping merchandise and other outdoor gear, the store boasts a full-service restaurant, a general store, an archery range, an arcade and a marine and boat center. This is clearly a destination the whole family will enjoy!