Arabic Chinese (Simplified) Dutch English French German Italian Japanese Portuguese Russian Spanish

Starting Your Business

Hanover County citizens have a thriving entrepreneurial spirit.  Our business base is primarily comprised of many small, medium, and family-owned businesses that were conceived, developed and grown right here in Hanover.

To support small business development, HCED:

  • Provides free business coaching and advocacy.
  • Offers free small business counseling through a cooperative venture with Richmond SCORE. To obtain an appointment with a counseling specialist, please contact Richmond SCORE at 804-350-3569.
  • Serves as a founding partner in the Dominion Energy Innovation Center which provides start-up assistance to companies developing new products and solutions.

Business growth opportunities abound as there are many ways to grow a business in the global economy as well.  Many Hanover companies have seen success in utilizing the Virginia Economic Development Partnership’s global marketing and trade programs and through other creative joint venture activities.

Starting a Business FAQ’s

How do I start a business in Hanover County?

The Hanover County Commissioner of Revenue has helpful information regarding new business requirements on its website.

What licenses and permits are required to run a business in Hanover County?

All businesses operating in Hanover County are required to register with the Commissioner of the Revenue. Once registered, all businesses must file an annual filing form on or before May 1st of each year. Businesses pay personal property taxes on the equipment used for the business. Hanover County does not require a business license for most businesses to operate in the county; however, we do require a Contractor’s License for contractors, electric contractors, plumbers and steam fitters.

What are the state’s requirements for operating a business in Hanover County?

Both new and existing business owners must register with the state for tax payment purposes. On the Web, visit the Virginia Department of Taxation’s VATAX Online. Click on the “Businesses” portion of the state image and then choose the “Register a New Business Online” option. You’ll be taken to iReg, the state’s online business registration system, where you can complete the necessary forms electronically.

What if I want to become an incorporated business in Hanover County?

You will need to register your business name and file the appropriate paperwork with Virginia’s State Corporation Commission (SCC). For specifics, visit the SCC Office of the Clerk, which discusses incorporation requirements.

How do I obtain a Federal Tax Identification Number?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Every employer is required to have a federal identification number. Visit IRS EIN for more information. You can apply online at the IRS website, or if you are not comfortable with sending information via the Internet, or you may call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line (Obtain an EIN from 7:00 AM -10:00 PM local time only) at (800) 829-4933.

I am interested in running a home-based business in Hanover County. How do I go about getting licensed?

Home businesses are occupations, professions, or activities conducted by one or more members of a family within their home. Some home businesses require a special permit. For further information, contact the Planning Department.

How do I find out if my business meets zoning requirements in a specified location?

If locating a business in an existing structure, contact the Planning Department to be sure that the business is suitable for the site. Parking, lighting, screening, or land use issues may need to be addressed. Contact the Building Inspector’s Office to determine if any building permits will be required.

How do I find out if my business product/service is allowed in Hanover County?

If you are not sure if your business is permitted in Hanover County, contact the Planning Department to find out if the business meets the requirements for the desired area.

How do I find available property or storefronts for lease?

Hanover County Economic Development can provide information on available property or storefronts for lease. For more information, contact us at (804) 365-6464.

How can the Hanover County Economic Development help a small, start-up company?

We can provide information on how and where to get your business plan reviewed, provide a list of organizations that may be able to provide funding, provide class and seminar information for small businesses, and in some cases, introduce you to venture capitalists if your organization needs additional funds. For this information and more, contact Hanover County Economic Development at (804) 365-6464.