Hanover County Economic Development recognizes significant economic development growth in a community is generated by existing businesses. To help nurture this growth HCED operates Business First Hanover in coordination with Business First Greater Richmond.
The primary goal of Business First Hanover is to grow the local economy by connecting businesses with the tools needed to thrive. During a business visit, direct contact information is provided to assist with various needs including expansions, state and local incentive programs, workforce recruiting and training, financing, exporting, business planning, and coordination of municipal services. The program’s multiple components work to create a proactive, holistic support system that encourages growth, suitable job creation and investment for our local companies.
Business First Hanover works closely with local businesses to:
- Learn company goals and objectives, products and services, and customers and suppliers.
- Identify common issues, address concerns, and help remove obstacles encountered in daily operations through a connection of multiple resources.
- Build a better business community by acting on the information received from local business leaders.
Retaining businesses and fostering existing business growth is an important priority in Hanover County, and HCED assists existing businesses with finding expansion locations in Hanover.
Business First Hanover uses Business Walks as a proactive approach to outreach. Currently held once each quarter, business identified within a targeted area are sent letters announcing the date, time, and purpose of the walk. During a typical 10– 20 minute visit, business owners are given a gift bag with relevant program and contact information followed by a brief, confidential survey. Issues identified during a visit are flagged for follow-up by staff at Economic Development. Additionally, the information gathered during the visit is compiled into an annual report which provides a snapshot of the overall business climate, thereby assisting economic development to build an even better business environment.
HCED’s Existing Business Manager, Brandon Turner:
- Works with local businesses to provide assistance with numerous issues including permit requirements, workforce development, training, and networking.
- Manages the Business First Hanover program and associated volunteers.
- Reports activities to demonstrate how critical local businesses are to Hanover County’s economy.
- Provides current and up-to-date information through multiple outlets to County businesses on relevant issues affecting their daily operations.
- Coordinates timely and meaningful seminar programs by partnering with local business resources and institutions.
To contact Brandon Turner, call (804) 365-6464 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.